*For additional information regarding the criterion for inclusion or membership for lawyer associations, awards, & certifications click image for link.

Union County Criminal Defense Lawyers

Monroe NC Lawyer

If you have legal issues in Union County, we’re here to help. It’s OK if you’re uncertain and even a bit worried about a serious felony charge, allegation of DWI, or something involving domestic violence, that’s normal.

“We enjoy helping people in Monroe. It’s a legal system known for a dedication to justice, hard work, and professionalism.”

– Bill Powers

Do I Need a Lawyer?

In North Carolina, you’re allowed to serve as your own attorney. You may speak for yourself in court.

You may hear people in the legal system use a term for that. It’s called pro se, which means “for oneself.” All that means is you’re waiving your right to legal counsel and proceeding “for yourself.”

And while that’s completely legal, we really don’t think that’s a good idea. There is a reason why lawyers go to law school, earn a Juris Doctorate, study and pass a Bar Exam, and attend Continuing Legal Education or “CLE.”

Law is complicated. How the legal system works can be confusing at times, even for seasoned defense attorneys. Things can develop quickly in court. Circumstances change.

And because of that, we think it’s crucial to have someone standing by your side in court, advocating for your best interests, who has the fundamental skills, training, and legal experience to provide sound legal advice.

“Justice can be a bit of a moving target at times. Things can change on a moments-notice. After 26 years helping people with a wide range of legal matters, I firmly believe there is no substitute for courtroom experience.”

Bill Powers, Monroe NC Lawyer

Are legal matters handled differently in Union County?

The NC Criminal Laws are subject to something called Equal Protection and Due Process of the laws (under the 5th Amendment and 14th Amendment to the US Constitution). Those are protections afforded to us under the constitutions of the United States and North Carolina.

Standards of Proof in NC

That means the laws, whether they involve criminal charges, family laws, accident cases, etc., are supposed to applied evenly and consistently across the board. It’s not supposed to matter who you are, what you look like, your religious beliefs, or your wealth.

That’s what lawyers mean when they refer to the “Equal Protection” of the law.

As is the case in courts throughout North Carolina, each judicial district has preferred protocols and ways of doing things. All DA’s, including the elected District Attorney in Union County, are given broad discretion in the way they administer justice and direct their ADA’s (assistant district attorneys) how to prosecute both a misdemeanor or felony charges.

That may be very different than what the elected DA in Charlotte may prioritize matters. Of course, that’s true too for neighboring judicial districts in Gastonia, Stanly County, Rowan, Iredell, and even across the NC-SC state line in York County, South Carolina.

As such, what may be the preferred process in Mecklenburg County for handling speeding tickets, that may not be how things work in Union County. Charlotte may provide a host of different deferral programs like “Deferred Lite” or “CBI - Cognitive Behavioral Intervention” that just aren’t options in Union County.

Larger districts have more cases and therefore resources. It’s just a fact. That doesn’t necessarily mean that’s better.

“The elected DA in Monroe takes a hands-on approach to many criminal charges that other DA’s in larger districts don’t do. Trey Robinson is regularly in court. He engages and he takes personal interest in cases. I applaud him for that.”

– Bill Powers, Lawyer in Monroe NC

Where is the Union County Courthouse?

There are actually two courthouses in Monroe. One is the historic courthouse on Main Street in downtown Monroe. It is no longer used for the disposition of legal matters.

If you have a legal matter in Monroe, go to 400 N Main St, Monroe, NC 28112. For questions about an upcoming court date, you may call the Clerk of Court in Union County at: (704) 698-3100

Find out Your Court Date

Main Street in downtown Monroe

Union County is often referred to by the local residents as “Sweet Union.” Union County has a population of around 124,00. The county seat is located in Monroe and this is where the courthouse as well as the sheriff’s office is located.

Union County Sheriff’s office is assisted by 3 law enforcement agencies. These include the Marshville Police Department, Monroe Police Department and the Wingate Police Department.

All of these departments work together, ensuring criminal laws are vigorously enforced.

Lawyers in Monroe NC – Bill Powers

The legal system can be complex and overwhelming at times. The criminal lawyers and family law attorneys at Powers Law Firm are compassionate, dedicated legal advocates.

“Our goal is to provide sound legal advice and answers to your questions. We’ll treat you with respect and compassion. We love helping people.”

– Bill Powers

If you’ve been charged with criminal violations such as driving with a revoked license, driving under the influence (DUI, which is formally known as DWI in NC) or leaving the scene of an accident, we’re here to help.

Call our law offices in Monroe (just off Main Street) today at 704-342-4357. You may also reach Bill Powers by email at Bill@CarolinaAttorneys.com

We serve all of Union County, which includes legal matters in:

  • Fairview
  • Hembry Bridge
  • Indian Trail
  • Lake Park
  • Marshville
  • Mineral Springs
  • Marvin
  • Monroe NC
  • Unionville
  • Stallings
  • Waxhaw
  • Weddington
  • Wingate
  • Wesley Chapel
Client Reviews
I am so fortunate to have had Bill Powers on my case. Upon our first meeting, Bill insisted that through the emotions of anger, sadness, confusion, and betrayal that I remain resilient. He was available to answer questions with researched, logical, truthful answers throughout our two year stretch together... J.R.
Bill Powers and his firm were a true blessing. If anyone is contacting an attorney, it's more than likely not from a positive life experience. If there was a rating for "bedside manner" for lawyers he'd get a 10/10 for that as well. The entire staff were helpful... K.C.
Bill Powers’ staff has handled several traffic citations for me over the years, and they exceeded my expectations each and every time. Would highly recommend anyone faced with a traffic citation or court case contact his office and they will handle it from there. M.C.
Bill and his staff are flat out great. I (unfortunately) was a repeat customer after a string of tickets. These guys not only took care of the initial ticket for me, but went the extra mile and reduced my problems from 3 to just 1 (very minor one) on the same day I called back! I would recommend them to anyone. A.R.